Award Winning Author

My photo
Karen Dales is the Award Winning Author of "The Chosen Chronicles" which include "Changeling: Prelude to the Chosen Chronicles," "Angel of Death: Book One of the Chosen Chronicles," and "Shadow of Death: Book Two of the Chosen Chronicles." She is currently at work on "Thanatos: Book Three of the Chosen Chronicles" and a Historical Romance set in Edo Japan.
Karen loves receiving emails from fans. If you'd like to email her:

karendales@karendales.com

www.karendales.com

Monday, February 4, 2013

Reviews and Writers

I've been thinking and debating and debating and thinking about whether to write about this topic for quite some time. Lately I've come to realize I need to state something very important to me--reading reviews from people who have read my novels really lifts my spirits and gives me the encouragement to keep on writing. Because of how I feel about reviews, I--rightly or wrongly--extrapolate from that to include that most other authors take pleasure and encouragement from reading reviews of their books, thus I ALWAYS leave reviews of novels I have read, whether the authors are friends (in the real or virtual worlds) or not.

I'm sure many of you who are reading this has seen the postings on Facebook, Twitter, etc., how best to support the authors you enjoy--by leaving reviews. In a sense, having readers do so has replaced fan mail, thus telling the world for everyone to see what the reader really thinks about the book. This garners the all important word-of-mouth, which, as authors, we hope will engender others to read our works.

So why am I writing about something that many people already know about? Well, there's a difference between knowing and acting. I know that my books sell--a lot, but I, as a reader/reviewer, find it strange that there aren't more reviews posted. I know it takes  time out of one's very busy life to write and post a review, but a review doesn't need to be a book report. Sometimes the briefest of reviews can make the greatest of impacts on the writer.

I know that as an author I must write for myself--which I do, but I also know, as an author, that a pat on the back from a reader can help the words flow faster.

I also go by the adage, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all." This means be truthful in your reviews, but don't post negative reviews out of spite or in an attempt to sabotage another's dream.

If you read and/or write, please take the time to post a sentence or two of a review up on the site you bought your book from. Believe it or not, fans inspire writers as much, if not more so, than writers inspiring fans.   

If you've read any of my books in THE CHOSEN CHRONICLES, and you haven't yet posted a review, please take the time to do so. You're words will inspire me to create more works for you to enjoy, and then it'll become a wonderful cycle where everyone wins.

 Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Many reviewers of late (including me) have been attacked for what some authors perceive as a negative review (3 out of 5 is not negative basically it is average). I have seem some of the flames by authors and reviewers can be just as bad.

    What everyone needs to understand/remember is that a review is nothing more than someone's opinion. And they are not right or wrong. They just are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    I loved your post. Thanks for taking time to write about this hard topic.
    Patricia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. More importantly than your adage (If you can't say something nice...)

    Tastes being what they are, just because one person doesn't like something doesn't mean they're opinion really matters.

    I've received the one star review, "Don't bother" drivel the thoughtless idiot thinks is helpful. I don't mind he hated my novel. But why? Does he not understand the elements of writing and can't put a noun and verb together to express how my novel fit...characterization, setting, plot....

    Oh...I'm just ranting. I should just hush now and go back to editing.

    Hope you're having a wonderful day. - Mac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed with your site, it helps us a lot and is useful. I always thank you for sharing the best article post, giving you such good tips and suggestions. New Apartment For Resale In Dwarka Mor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Youre ego is too inflated to make one want to read your books. You trash young and new authors and think you actually make a difference. You just gaslight authors that you simply dont like. The awards you received were given because you paid people off. Step off your high horse.

    ReplyDelete